At Highline, one of our core values and strongest beliefs is that everyone has the right to happiness and wellness. While the stigma around mental health concerns has slowly but surely been experiencing positive changes, we still have a long way to go in terms of overcoming societal stigmas around treating mental health. Our customers are our community, and we’re all in it together!
World Mental Health Day
The World Health Organization has been observing World Mental Health Day on October 10th since 1992 in order to commemorate, raise awareness, and mobilize efforts in support of mental health across the globe. This year, we’ve decided to offer 20% OFF all CBD gummies, oils, and products, as well as upping our usual donation of 1% to 5% of all site proceeds from orders on October 10th through October 12th to the Mental Health Coalition. This worthy organization’s mission is to destigmatize mental health disorders and empower access to vital resources for all, goals we couldn’t hold in higher regard.
Mental health encompasses many different aspects that can present differently from person to person in the realm of thoughts, perceptions, emotions, and actions, which in turn can affect our relationships with others. Mental health includes a vast spectrum, from social anxieties to depression, bipolar disorder, and dementia, among many more.
CBD and Mental Health
There are many ways to treat mental health, from specific and targeted treatments like therapy and prescribed medications to lifestyle changes such as exercise, daily routines, and time spent with family and friends. In addition to prescribed medications, there are over-the-counter options and natural methods, such as CBD. Given that we’re pretty fond of the little cannabinoid that could and its links to potentially being able to alleviate anxiety and other mood disorders, we’re sharing some of the latest research around CBD and mental health.
- Healthy Emotion in the Hippocampus: One article written by a naturopathic doctor and licensed acupuncturist in Psychology Today refers to studies that have found that CBD may help lower feelings of isolation and reduce the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). CBD may be able to support the hippocampus, a brain area key to supporting healthy emotion and memory.
- Potentially Therapeutic Role of CBD: In the Journal of Cannabis Research, it was found that CBD may have been helpful in alleviating symptoms of schizophrenia, social anxiety disorder, and potentially even ADHD with moderate recommendation.
- We’re All Stressed, But There’s Help: Healthline shared that CBD oil may be able to help generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), based in part on information from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) that CBD has been shown to reduce stress in animals. More research must be done on humans, but subjects in the study were shown to have lowered behavioral signs of anxiety.
- SAD No More: In 2011, one study researched CBD’s effects on people with SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder, the mostly aptly named acronym of all time to describe depression brought on by the changing of the seasons. Participants were given an oral dose of CBD or a placebo, with those who received CBD reporting overall reduced anxiety levels.
- PTSD Potential: Multiple recent studies have shown that CBD may be able to help with certain effects of PTSD symptoms, such as having nightmares and replaying negative memories. These studies have looked at CBD as both a standalone PTSD treatment as well as a supplement to traditional treatments like medication and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
CBD and Mental Health: Our Picks
If you’re considering adding CBD to your everyday routine, first make sure to consult your doctor before introducing new supplements or nutritional products to your routine. Then consider our most popular CBD gummies and oils based on your needs:
- For daily use to promote a general sense of calm and well-being, our Anytime CBD Gummies are the original CBD gummies, while the CBD Oil offers a sugar-free alternative that can be added to drinks or food.
- For nightly use to help encourage sleep: Our CBD Night Gummies are specially formulated to encourage a calm state of mind to help you fall asleep, also available in CBD Night Oil form for a sugar-free alternative.
Be kind to yourself and be kind to others. We are all here for each other, as humans who have all struggled with issues of mental health in some form or another. Stronger together, with each other and the global community of humans.