We’ve all heard the classic home remedies for hangovers, from a glass of milk, a couple pickles, some greasy food, or the electrolytes of Gatorade, but the truth is that there’s no such thing as a cure for hangovers. However, there are definitely some things you can do to help alleviate the effects, and CBD for hangovers might just be one of them!
Whether you’re rooting for the Bengals or the Rams this Sunday, we could all use some hangover tips as the Super Bowl approaches. Keep reading to find out what we’ve learned about CBD for hangover relief and why you should try it!
The ECS Connection
If you’ve read any of our blogs, you’ve probably come across the endocannabinoid system, or ECS for short. A biological system in the body, just like the respiratory or immune systems to name only two, the ECS has its metaphorical hands in a variety of bodily functions and processes. These include everything from sleep and appetite to mood and memory.
The reason that CBD is able to have the effects it does within the body is through interactions with the ECS and its system of endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors. The effects that CBD has are positive, tending to help the body restore balance. Alcohol, on the other hand, also interacts with the ECS, but in the opposite way, potentially causing serious imbalances in the ECS. Given this, is it possible that CBD for hangovers can actually help?
Does CBD for Hangovers Work?
The key is to understand that nothing will cure a hangover, but CBD may be able to alleviate some of the symptoms that are connected with hangovers. Some of the research which points to this possibility includes the following:
- A 2011 review of animal studies which found that CBD might be able to regulate nausea and vomiting.
- A 2010 study that showed increased levels of a certain inflammatory market in people who’ve been drinking alcohol, relevant because studies have found that CBD may have anti-inflammatory properties.
As with any other supplement, it’s always best to check with your doctor prior to trying CBD for hangovers or any other reason – especially if you’re taking any medications!
How to Choose the Right CBD Product for You
Whether you’re trying CBD for hangover relief or any other reason, one of the easiest ways to ensure you’re using quality products is to check the certificates of analysis (COA), which shows the results of third-party lab tests and will show exactly how much CBD is in the product.
- If you prefer a consistent dose that won’t immediately take effect, try CBD Gummies like our Anytime CBD Gummies or CBD Immunity Gummies
- If you prefer a fast-acting option, try CBD Oils like our CBD Oil or CBD Day Oil
- If you prefer to soak in the effects of CBD through your skin, try CBD Topicals like our soothing CBD Bath Bomb or cooling CBD Fitness Cream
More Tips for Hangover Relief and Prevention
At the end of the day, while CBD may be able to provide some relief, the best attack against a hangover is to pair CBD with other methods of prevention:
- Stay hydrated, pairing each alcoholic beverage with one full glass of water.
- Make sure you’re well-rested – learn more about CBD for sleep and check out our night gummies!!
- Load up the day’s menu with high-protein foods so your body is properly fueled.
- Don’t forget not to drink on an empty stomach!
From CBD for hangovers to the latest news about ongoing research into CBD, we’re always sharing tips and tricks to help you live your best, most mindful life. Check out our blog for all things wellness, from the link between CBD and fighting insomnia to how CBD cream for pain might support chiropractic care. Learn more about our favorite compound in our CBD 101 guide and check out our product quiz to find out your ideal form of CBD!